Free Kindle Books

I got an e-mail from Amazon today advertising a promotion from Random House... 5 free e-books! I'm hoping this happens often, because it'll save me a ton of money. And I'll get to read books I normally wouldn't have picked up!

These are the free books:

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
Blood Engines by T.A. Pratt
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
Red Mars by Stanley Robinson

More reasons to buy a kindle! :)

Update: Little Miss Moneybags told me that you can download these books (and many more) for free (in PDF format) at this site.

She also stated that the Kindle can't handle PDFs, which is not true... at least for the Kindle 2. However, the functionality is still at the "experimental" stage... the PDFs are converted, and they may not all format correctly. I haven't tried this out yet; I'll update my review once I have.

Here's the info straight from Amazon:
Kindle makes it easy to take your personal documents with you, eliminating the need to print. Each Kindle has a unique and customizable e-mail address. You can set your unique email address on your Manage Your Kindle page. This allows you and your approved contacts to e-mail Word, PDF documents, and pictures wirelessly to your Kindle for a small per document fee--currently only 10¢ per document. Kindle supports wireless delivery of unprotected Microsoft Word, PDF, HTML, TXT, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files.

You can email your PDFs wirelessly to your Kindle. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex PDF files may not format correctly on your Kindle.

If you are not in a wireless area or would like to avoid the fee, you can send attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com to be converted and e-mailed to your computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account login. You can then transfer the document to your Kindle using your USB connection. For example, if your Kindle email address is Jay@Kindle.com, send your attachments to Jay@free.kindle.com.

3 comments:

Little Miss Moneybags said...

These (and more) are actually available for free as pdfs, so you don't have to have a Kindle to read them (and the Kindle actually can't handle pdfs anyway).

Enjoy!

Miss M said...

We have the red mars series, red mars is pretty good but the other books aren't very interesting. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan either but I enjoyed it.

Sunflowers said...

@Little Miss Moneybags: FYI - "Kindle 2 supports the Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (formats 4, Audible Enhanced (AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC, PDF, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP (through conversion) formats. Amazon claims that not all PDF's may format correctly."

Anyway, I'll post this so everyone knows about it!

@Miss M: I'm more of a fantasy than sci-fi fan... But hey, if they suck, at least I didn't pay for them. ;)

Copyright © 2008 - The Debt Chronicles - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template