Job Hunt Update

It's been a week and a couple days since I met with the recruiter. I haven't heard anything back from her. She's on vacation now until the end of the week.

I've sent out 11 resumes in the last 2 1/2 weeks. I applied only to the decent jobs - I'm not desperate enough (yet) to slave away for $10 per hour at a small firm. That's incredibly insulting. I'd sooner take law school off my resume and go back to making $26 per hour as an assistant.

One of those resumes was to the recruiter, and that's the only person I got a call back from. Several of those were for paralegal positions, and I bet some of the people on the receiving end deleted my resume instantly when they saw I had a JD. Some of the ads on Craig's List actually got changed to say "no JDs."

I've had my resume and cover letter critiqued by the director of my school's career services department. Everything looks good. I have another 20 jobs I'm going to apply to today.

This is the first time in my life that I haven't had immediate responses from employers to my job inquiries. I know a lot of people who don't have jobs, from schools at the top to the bottom, and I can only imagine how many resumes are pouring in daily to the jobs that are halfway decent. It's a depressing situation.

I know I'm luckier than some people, because I have M... he's been paying for everything since my bar loan money ran out - rent, my credit card payments, food, etc. I intend to pay him back. But I'm tired of adding to the debt. That depresses me too.

I'm still optimistic. I'll try to stay that way as long as I can.

3 comments:

Serendipity said...

Its really tough out there right now which is crummy. All I can say is stay positive and open-minded. The right fit will come along I'm sure! In the meantime, have you given yourself a timeline? Like, if I can't find this by this date, I might go back to legal assitant?

High Class, Low Income said...

Good luck on your job search. I can totally understand what you're saying about being overqualified. I was making more than double what I am making now before I moved, and I'm pretty sure a lot of places deleted my resume or never contacted me because I had too much experience and they weren't willing to negotiate a rate similar to what I was getting in NorCal. I only got one call back out of about ten agencies I applied to here, but I'm happy with my decision to accept the job and besides I somewhat had no choice.

Sunflowers said...

@Serendipity: I don't know... maybe 2 months? I'm not even sure if I can pull off removing the JD from my resume. Some of my experience directly relates to my time at school, so employers might be suspicious of that... and if I removed that experience, then I have a huge gap. :(

@High Class: Thanks... hopefully something will pan out.

Copyright © 2008 - The Debt Chronicles - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template