Feelings on Facials

It was my friend's birthday last week, and we're having a spa day this weekend to celebrate. I was just going to get a massage (after all the yoga I've been doing, boy do I need it), but she said she's "definitely" getting a facial, and I'm a bit tempted to do the same. But are facials really worth the money?

I've only done it once, about 1 1/2 years ago. It felt relaxing while I was getting it done, but my face hurt for at least a week afterwards (on account of the extractions), and I broke out. I've always had relatively mild acne in my face, and it's almost nonexistent now (since going to see a dermatologist at the beginning of the year). I'm a little worried about getting a facial done and having a repeat of what happened before. I relayed this to the lady at the spa and she assured me they use "all natural, gentle products" and that everyone leaves glowing. ("sure they do" to that last part :p)

I did a search on google - "are facials beneficial" - and the results were basically "do it if it feels relaxing and you have the money, but there's no scientific evidence that it will improve your skin."

What is everyone's opinion on/experience with facials? Was the experience I had just a fluke, and most people do indeed come out "glowing"?

4 comments:

Little Miss Moneybags said...

I don't like facials. I used to always get a massage and a facial during spa week, but I found the facials to be not-relaxing--the light hurt my eyes and made them water copiously, the extractions hurt my skin and made me break out. The cooling gels and stuff are nice but I don't think they're worth the price. I'd rather get an extra half hour massage, especially one focusing on my neck and scalp, than ever have another facial.

Little Miss Moneybags said...

Also, I'd always get scolded by the facial esthetician for not getting facials done regularly (every month or every season) and they'd always want to wax my eyebrows down to thin little strips. And then they'd try to sell me all the high-priced crap they smeared all over my face. No thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oooo I LOVE a good facial! :) You can opt out on extraction.. that way your face won't hurt!

They are so relaxing to me.. but then again.. I am a TOTAL gurlie girl

Anonymous said...

I've never had one, but you don't make it sound like fun! I did buy some exfoliation, vitamin C stuff from The Body Shop for $35. I like it a lot. I do beauty treatments at home.

Copyright © 2008 - The Debt Chronicles - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template