Pressure

Have any of you been getting pressure from relatives to buy property? I have my dad in one ear telling me it's the time to buy, and M's dad in the other ear saying the same thing.

I understand why they're doing it; partially because it IS a good time to buy (for those with the money), and partially because, I think, they wished they had bought something when they were my and M's age. Oh, and also because neither of them know the extent of my credit card debt. :p

I know that I am absolutely not financially ready to buy. M probably is, actually... but I think it would be smarter to wait until we're both ready. I don't think we need to be in as much of a hurry as the 'rents are suggesting... prices are still dropping! And hopefully the trend will continue for the next year. At that point, I won't be the poor student anymore and we can figure out for sure where we want to live for the next 5 years.

...Having said that, I will still obsessively stalk Redfin.com for pretty houses! Just looking, no touching. ;)

2 comments:

Simplelivin' said...

YES!!! Not just relatives, but everyone! A bunch of people I work with just bought and are trying to push me and hubby to do the same.

We would like to have at least 20% to put down before we buy. Life is easier renting. You don't have to worry about fixing the roof, or mowing the lawn, paying property tax.
From what I've heard, the housing market is suppose to be down until early 2012 (when the last of the balloon mortgages go up), so as long as the interest rates stay down there's no need to rush into it.

Good luck dealing with the pressure!

Sunflowers said...

So still a year and a half to go! I guess what's special about this year is the tax incentive. (tho I don't even think we qualify because M makes too much)

People are kind of annoying. ;p

Copyright © 2008 - The Debt Chronicles - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template