Broken Door

I decided to rearrange the furniture yesterday, which unfortunately resulted in a little accident...

I was attempting to shove our recliner through the bedroom door, and I ended up breaking one of the hinges (the door is no longer attached to the bottom hinge). I was stupid to think I could fit the chair through without picking it up, but I was feeling stubborn, knew I couldn't lift the chair, and didn't want to wait until my bf got home.

So now I'm looking through DIY websites, and feeling intimidated (I need, among other things, a drill, saw, wood chisel, and butt gauge?! what the heck is a butt gauge?)... Do you think this is something I can fix myself, or should I just hire someone to do it?

Update: We tried the matchstick and wood glue solution... and the door's fixed! Guess I didn't need that butt gauge after all... I can give it back to the dominatrix. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been in home where I've had to have doors hung, and it's quite an art. Even my then-father-in-law, who had been a carpenter's apprentice for 18 months before switching careers, wouldn't hang his own doors. Since this doesn't sound like something you can fix with a screwdriver and wood glue, I'd lean towards finding a pro.

"Butt gauge" sounds like something a dominatrix might have in her dungeon!

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

Not sure of the extent of the damage. Did the screws just get ripped out of the hinge? If so, and they won't hold anymore, a quick trick is to put a matchstick or similar small piece of wood flush in the hole, and re-drive the screw with a screwdriver. Maybe post a pic?

Sunflowers said...

@Kate: lol...

@OTCW: My bf's dad said the same thing (re: the matches)... I'll try that today! I'll also post a pic. Thanks! :)

Copyright © 2008 - The Debt Chronicles - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template