Fitness Splurges

When I was in high school, my parents paid for the occasional tennis lesson. I would really love to get back into the sport, and paying for private lessons would definitely be one way to do it. But... I have to face it that I really don't have the money right now. Maybe one day. :)

When that day comes, here's what I'd do:

  • have an hr private lesson 2x/mo ($80/session)
  • take classes 2x/wk ($120/mo)
  • play doubles with friends on the weekend
As for right now, I'm thinking of taking a class at the local community college (in addition to doing the free option above - playing with friends :)). It would mean getting up at 7:30am, but it would only cost $20 (for the entire summer) and I think it would help me get my butt into gear. I'm also looking into getting a swim pass for a local swim complex... haven't been in the water in ages.

One of my problems is finding the motivation to get out and exercise by myself (because M never gains a pound and thus is never interested in exercising)... it's tough! I was going to the gym for awhile, but I suddenly stopped (I had a project due and convinced myself I had to stay in the house and focus). I know when I start up again it'll be much easier to do it the second, third, (etc) times. But it's doing it that first time that's so difficult.

How do you all get yourself motivated to go out and exercise? Does paying for classes, lessons, gym memberships help? And what works better for you - a morning routine or an evening one?

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

When I first started trying to make fitness and exercise a regular thing, I made dates to meet people for active things - weights at the gym, runs or walks. Having someone to meet made me far less likely to stay in bed. Now that the habit has been established, going for runs or doing sit ups is just part of my regular routine.

As far as morning vs evening workouts - I do a mix of both. It keeps things interesting.

paranoidasteroid said...

I have a hard time exercising for the sake of it. I do much better when I have someone to exercise with, and really it's best if we're playing a sport. I skip the gym all the time, but almost never skip tennis.

Evening works best for me, but this is probably because I don't get enough sleep. I'm not capable of making heathy decisions at 6am!

Simplelivin' said...

I love tennis! I am anything but good at it, but I love it! It's such a great workout too!

Serendipity said...

I have a really hard time exercising too. I'm not sure why because I know I feel awesome after but its just getting there thats difficult. I have a membership to a fancy, smancy gym which I do enjoy but just never go. Having my friends make gym dates helps but its still tough. I think my new motivation might have to be buying cute summer clothes ;)

Sunflowers said...

@Chrissy: I wish I had someone who was willing to do that. :( My friends are scattered all around, and none are close enough that they would be willing to meet up just to exercise.

@paranoidasteroid: Yeah, same here. And as far as working out at 6am... eeeek. I can barely get out of bed at 9. <.<;

@Simplelivin: Me too! :) I wish I could play more often...

@Serendipity: Yeah, I promised myself a new pair of jeans when I lose 20 pounds! ;)

Copyright © 2008 - The Debt Chronicles - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template