Glasses Woes

I still have a few December goals to finish up, and today I went to Lenscrafters to get one out of the way... only to be reminded how very costly things can get when you procrastinate. :(

I bought the glasses in December '07. A few months ago, I somehow got a scratch on the inside of one of the lenses. It's been bothersome, but I didn't want to spend the time to get it fixed. I learned today that the only way to get rid of the scratch is to replace the lens. I also learned that until December '08 I could have gotten 50% off the price. Since the year is up, I have to pay in full - $320. I think this is the cost of replacing both the lenses, not just one. (I asked a couple times how much it would cost to try to clarify, but the one saleslady had to keep asking another... I think (hope) there was some miscommunication between them). But even for both, that's really shocking. That's more than I paid for the designer frame AND the lenses!

After she told me that number, I stared at her for a while, and then said "uh... I'll think about it", and hightailed it out of there.

For now, I'll just continue living with the scratch... I'll probably have to get a stronger prescription in a year anyway (if my descent towards blindness continues), so it's just not worth it. One thing I'm not familiar with is getting glasses/lenses on the internet. I've always gone to Lenscrafters. Does anyone know of a website where you can send in your frames and get your lenses replaced for a decent price??

2 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I don't know about frames with new lenses but Lenscrafter laughed me out of there saying it was $300 JUST for the lenses even though it'd be $300 for frames AND lenses.

Gawd.

I went to Zennioptical online and it was the best decision I had ever made. $30, frames AND lenses.

no brand name frames, but I didn't care.

Fabulously Broke in the City

"Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver."

Sunflowers said...

Lenscrafters is crazy! Ugh.

I'm going to try Zennioptical... thanks! :)

Copyright © 2008 - The Debt Chronicles - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template